Exercise Consistency and Proven Strategies to Maintain it
In the world of health & fitness, the golden ticket to success is exercise consistency. However, life sometimes gets in the way and it does its best to make us fall off the rails. To help with these challenges we discuss some proven strategies to maintain exercise consistency that can help you now and for years to come.
The endeavour of health, wellness and physical activity shouldn’t be a fleeting commitment, it’s a lifestyle choice that reaps a multitude of health benefits. Let’s dive into the significance of staying consistent and explore ten tips to maintain the motivation to maintain exercise consistency.
Why Consistency Matters:
Consistency transforms sporadic efforts into lasting results. When you consistently engage in physical activity, you not only boost your metabolism (more permanently) but also achieve enhanced cardiovascular health, build muscular strength, improved body composition, increase coordination, improved immunity and improve mental well-being. It’s the secret sauce for a robust and enduring health & wellness journey and increased longevity.
How Much Exercise Determines ‘Consistency’?
- We should be moving our body every day. Now, everyday does not mean you have to do an intense workout every day, and rest is just as important as physical activity. However human beings are designed to be moving every day.
- Each day aim for 30 minutes minimum of moving your body. On a weekly basis that could mean:
- 2-3 days of strength training
- 2 days of cardiovascular exercise such as walking, running, swimming or bicycle riding
- 1-2 days of a full body flexibility and mobility session such as a class at active & ageless or even a yoga class.
Tips for Maintaining Consistency:
- Set Realistic Goals: Define achievable short-term and long-term goals to keep yourself motivated. Celebrate small victories along the way.
- Discover Enjoyable Activities: Find workouts that you genuinely love. Whether it’s a an exercise group class, or cycling, yoga, or dance, choosing enjoyable activities ensures that you look forward to each session.
- Create a Schedule: Plan your workouts ahead of time and integrate them into your daily routine. Treat them as non-negotiable appointments with yourself.
- Mix it Up: Prevent boredom by incorporating variety into your routine. Try different exercises, classes, or outdoor activities to keep things interesting.
- Find a Workout Buddy: Having a workout partner adds a social aspect to exercise and provides mutual motivation and support. There’s plenty of buddies to train with at Active & Ageless.
- Prioritize Recovery: Allow your body to recover with adequate rest days and proper sleep. Exercise consistency is not about overtraining but about finding a sustainable balance. Recovery can also mean a slow walk or even a stretch class.
- Track Your Progress: Keep a record of your workouts and celebrate improvements. Monitoring your progress reinforces the positive impact of your consistent efforts. Do you fitness assessments with Active & Ageless.
- Stay Flexible: Life can be unpredictable. Be adaptable and find alternative workout options when your original plans don’t pan out.
- Exercise early in the day: Exercising early on can prevent missing a session when life juts seems to want you to not train later in the day. E.g., stuck in traffic, work deadlines, social events.
- Mindset Matters: Embrace the process and view setbacks as learning opportunities. A positive mindset is the fuel that propels consistency.
Ways To Incorporate Exercise Consistency into Your Daily Routine
- Walk or ride your bike for short trips to the shops/café etc instead of driving.
- Use the stairs instead of the lift (and walk up/down the escalators)
- Go for a walk with a friend instead of sitting down at a café.
- Get off the bus one stop earlier and walk the remaining distance!
Incorporating these tips into your fitness journey will not only foster consistency but also unlock a world of health benefits. Remember, the key to a healthier life is in the daily commitment to your well-being. Exercise Consistency isn’t just a choice, it’s a lifestyle that pays dividends for years to come.
Heath Jones is the founder of Active & Ageless and has over 20 years’ experience in the Health & Wellness space.
He holds the following qualifications:
Bachelor of Nursing
Postgraduate in Exercise Science
Diploma of OHS
Cert 3 & 4 Fitness
Cert 4 Training & Assessment
Older Adults trainer